Wednesday 4 January 2012

What is SOAP?

Using SOAP everyday

I was introduced to the SOAP method of reading my Bible, through Momstoolbox when I read the Bible in 90 days. It is a way of getting into God's word and finding something for you everytime you read...

So, what is this SOAP?
It is a simple way to read, focus and reflect on just what He might be telling you in what you are reading.

What you need:
A Bible, notebook, pen and extra time (the amount of time depends on the length of your passage).

What I do is the following:

Read my passage for the day and find the one thing I believe God is telling me in the passage.
Then I write it down using the SOAP method as a guide:
- S: Scripture-Write the ONE scripture that I feel God is using to speak to me in today’s reading
- O: Observation-What might He be telling me with that scripture?
- A: Application-How can I apply it to my life?
- P: Prayer-What is my prayer to ask God in helping me to make that application?

I then read SOAP's of a few other people I am linked to pray for them.


As you try this out, feel free to get as detailed as you like, but simple answers are perfectly acceptable.
This journal is only between you and God and whomever else you may want to share it with, no need to try to impress.
Just write from your heart. And try your best to really listen to Him. Clear your mind and listen. Then write.

Some people, after doing their SOAP, look back over the entry and come up with a short title and write it on the top of the page. Then go to the front of their journal and log the title. This way, they can easily look back and find the messages God has sent.

SOAP has definitely helped me to focus more and take in what I read so much better as I have to look for what I believe He is telling me.

BUT you do not have to use this method, or any method if you don't want to. It really doesn't matter! I just know it helped me so wanted to help you if I could.

I will try to send you my daily SOAP if possible, but if I don't believe me there is a very good reason :) I will also post them on the blog to be read as we go along...

No comments:

Post a Comment