Monday 13 January 2014

Day 2- Genesis 10-18

DAY 2
Scripture: The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. (Genesis 12:1 NIV)

He took him outside and said, “Look up at the sky and count the stars—if indeed you can count them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness. (Genesis 15:5, 6 NIV)

Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. But she had an Egyptian slave named Hagar; so she said to Abram, “The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my slave; perhaps I can build a family through her.” Abram agreed to what Sarai said. He slept with Hagar, and she conceived. When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. Then Sarai said to Abram, “You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering. I put my slave in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the Lord judge between you and me.” (Genesis 16:1, 2, 4, 5 NIV)

Then God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. (Genesis 17:9 NIV)

Observation: In these chapters, we read about God's covenant with and promises to Abram. God orders Abram to leave everything he knows and most of what he loves and go to a strange country. Abram does this. Good man. Then God promises Abram offspring and a long and plentiful lineage. Abram is said to have believed the Lord. Once again, great. We know however that Abram and Sarai had no children at that point, and even though Abram had believed God's promise, he and Sarai decide to help God's plan along a little bit. Then we have the whole incident with the slave girl Hagar. And big surprise, it backfires! When it does, Sarai blames Abram and he takes no responsibility. Sound familiar? God however comes to Abraham and reminds him that he needs to keep his covenant in orders for God's promises to be fulfilled.

Application: When God makes a promise, He keeps it. We need to stay true to His word however and not try and rush along what He has in store for us. God always knows what is best for us and when we try and take things in our own hands, we are bound to end up in a place of hurt. Being human, we are all bound to do this at some point and when we do, we need to take responsibility for our mistakes and hold on to God's promises and obey Him in everything.

Prayer: Lord, help me to stay true to your word and obey you in all things. Thank you for being faithful in everything and for having an awesome plan for my life. Help me to take responsibility when I do mess up and thank you for forgiving me every time. Thank you for your amazing blessings everyday, despite my weakness when I stray from the path you have laid out. 

Next reading: Genesis 19-24


Blog link: http://readthebiblein180days.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment